Overseas Filipino workers tend to send Balikbayan boxes to our loved ones in the Philippines. This is one of the ways we show our care for our family back home. Sometimes, the boxes are stored in our accommodations and are slowly filled up with clothes, goods, gifts, etc. every time we receive our monthly salary.
It takes some time for the box to arrive as usually, it is sent via sea cargo. It may take from 30 to 45 days depending on the address of the receiver. If you are planning to send a box from Kuwait to the Philippines, here are some tips to guide you.
Things that you will need:
- Sturdy Shipping Box
- Packaging Tape
- Scissors for cutting
- Padding material (for Liquid and bottled items)
- Plastic bags (this is for you to be able to contain liquid in case of spillage)
Sending Balikbayan Boxes to the Philippines from Kuwait
List of approved Cargo Service by Department of Trade and Industry as of 2016. Make sure that your cargo service provider is reliable. You can also ask fellow Pinoys in your work or accommodation who have recently sent a box.
- Philippine Freight Forwarder
- Brand Expert Freight Forwarder, Corp.
Brand Gpu Express Logistic Company
- Yasasa Cargo
Address: KUWAIT CITY-DAWLIAH CENTER,
GROUND FLOOR, OFFICE NO.35,
AT THE BACK OF IPC-MOSQUE and AL MUTHANA COMPLEX.
MOBILE: 60059086 – 6699568
- LBC Express, Inc. LBC Express, WLL
– click here to know more information
- LCSN Express Movers, Inc. Falcon Cargo International Co.
– click here to know more information Address:P O Box No. 29352 Safat
Contact Numbers: 22419095, 22419096
Some Tips When Sending Balikbayan Boxes From Kuwait to Philippines
It is easy to track your Balikbayan boxes, all you have to do is Get the tracking number from your chosen courier, and track your shipment online. These couriers have websites where you can get the status of your cargo. If you cannot find their website, you can always call them to get an update.
Here are some tips that is useful for packing your Balikbayan boxes
- We recommend using a big garbage bag and line it inside the box. This would be helpful in keeping moisture from getting in and prevents any liquid containers from spilling out from the box.
- We would also recommend using bubble wrap if you have glass containers or breakable containers. This will keep everything all of your things inside the box from banging or collide from each other.
- It would be a great idea if you could label all items so that the receiver won’t be having a hard time on who gets what.
- Do not force the box to fit everything that you need to pack. This would change the dimensions of your Balikbayan boxes and it would be rejected at the shipping center.
- Make sure to tape all creases securely on your Balikbayan box. This would help the box to be sturdier since the box would suffer some blows while being transported.
Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) provides lists of items that are NOT allowed inside of your Balikbayan Box
- Money orders and traveler’s checks
- Explosives, Firecracker, ammunitions and explosives
- Illegal Drugs and other substances
- Gambling cards
- Pornographic materials
- Pirated product
- Toy guns
- Plant seeds and plant materials
- Items of commercial quantity
DTI also said that all items inside the balikbayan box should be declared.
Please click here for more FAQs on Balikbayan Boxes as per DTI
Complainants should file written complaints together with supporting documents through e-mail at [email protected] or call DTI direct (02)751-3330 or 09178343330.
Balikbayan boxes does not only contain canned goods, clothes, chocolates, perfume, souvenirs etc. But it is also comes with dreams, aspirations and hopes to have a better life for his/ loved ones back home. It’s a reminder for plenty of Pinoys back in the Philippines that their parents/families are thinking about them.
We hope the tips above will give you an idea how you can prepare a balikbayan box should you send something to your family.