Due to its thriving oil industry, Kuwait is among the top choices for foreign nationals who are looking for job opportunities. Moreover, this country has a colourful history, a beautiful culture, and plenty of of popular places to discover and explore!
Of course, a trip to Kuwait would not be complete without buying some souvenirs. In this article, we have compiled a list of the most unique and interesting finds that you can bring home. These items can be found in most shopping malls or souks (traditional markets) across the country.
Top Things to Buy in Kuwait
Whether you’re an expat, tourist, or visitor in Kuwait, you will surely need to take some “mementos” with you. Here are some fantastic souvenir suggestions:
1. Wooden Shields
Once upon a time, shields were used during times of war, as a means to protect oneself from enemy attacks. These days, however, miniature versions of wooden shields can be found in shops across the country. They are no longer tools in war, but ornaments and cultural handicrafts.
Wooden shields come in a variety of shapes (e.g. circular, triangular), colours, and patterns. They are often used as wall hangings or decorations, while some versions may also be used as trays. How interesting!
2. Arabic Teapots
If you like tea, then what better way to enjoy this hot beverage than by using your very own Arabic teapot! These usually come as part of a set — with matching teacups and a tray for serving. You can buy Arabic teapots and cups in most stores across Kuwait. Just imagine using these during tea time at home!
3. Wooden Ornaments
Wooden ornaments make great souvenirs! They are light, easy to carry, and simply fascinating to look at. Here in Kuwait, you will find wooden coasters, camels, towers, and other designs. Some even have Arabic calligraphy engraved on them, turning the ornaments into interesting conversation pieces!
4. Metal Ornaments
Speaking of ornaments, you will also find a vast array of metalworks in Kuwait. There are teapots, cups, trays, lamps, figures, and other great pieces. The most popular designs include camels, towers, lamps, etc. Some also feature Arabic designs and carvings — the perfect souvenir to give to your friends!
5. Sheep Wool Rugs
Just like other countries in the region, you will find Persian rugs in Kuwait. In addition, you will also find sheep wool rugs. You can place them in your living room, bedroom, or other parts of the house. Sheep wool rugs are not only great to look at, but are super warm and comfy, too!
Be sure to bring home a bottle — or two — of “attar” (Arabic perfume) with you. These perfumes come in a variety of scents, and in colourful bottles, too. You can choose from a wide variety of scents, from floral and fruity to aromatic wood scents. Your family and friends back will surely love to receive perfumes as gifts!
7. Gift Boxes
While we’re on the subject of gifts and souvenirs, why not package them into something beautiful and unique? The stores in Kuwait offer different types of gift boxes, made of materials such as paper, acrylic, wood, and even metal! Simply place some souvenir trinkets inside, and bring them home as a gift.
8. Gold Jewellery
Gold in Kuwait — and the Middle East, for that matter — is prized for its high quality and magnificent designs. Just walk into any jewellery shop and you will find 22-carat gold jewellery that would make an unforgettable gift, indeed!
Aside from gold, you can also buy diamonds and other precious gems in Kuwait. You can be assured that these are of premium quality, yet at a great price.
9. Tote Bags
You can never have enough bags! They are beautiful, colourful, and definitely useful! Check out the embroidered bags in shops across Kuwait, and you are bound to find something that you would like to take home! The most popular designs include the Kuwaiti flag, map of Kuwait, the country’s popular towers and skyscrapers, and bags with Arabic calligraphy.
10. Food and Snacks
Of course, you shouldn’t forget to buy some foods that are unique to the region. Among these are dates, nuts, dried fruits, sweets, spices, and many more. You can easily buy them in most grocery stores and open markets across the country.
Best Places to Shop in Kuwait
Now that you have a better idea of what you can buy as souvenirs, here’s a list of the best places to shop in Kuwait. These include shopping malls as well as souks:
- Al Hamra Luxury Center. Located within the iconic Al Hamra Tower, this is the place to go if you are looking for luxury (i.e. rather pricey) souvenirs.
- Al Raya Shopping Center. If shopping and dining is among your favourite hobbies, then you will surely enjoy this place, which has lots of retail shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- Al-Bairaq Mall. This mall houses shops that sell clothes, bags, shoes, cosmetics, and many more. In addition, it also has cinemas where you can catch the latest blockbusters. Yay!
- Marina World. This place features lots of restaurants where you can sample local and international cuisines. In addition, it also has stores where you can buy various gifts and souvenirs.
- 360 Mall. This is a huge mall in Kuwait City that has plenty of premium brand shops, restaurants, and a hypermarket.
- Old Kuwaiti Souk Market. Situated in the heart of Kuwait City, this market is the perfect place for buying souvenirs, trying out local dishes, and simply “immersing” in the local culture!
- Souk Al-Watiya. This is the place to go if you are planning to buy gold and other precious gems. Located along Watiya Abu Bakr Street, it features plenty of gold shops.
- Souk Al-Mubarakiya. This traditional market has a long history… It goes back to 200 years! Here, you will find handicrafts, perfumes, food, textiles, and much more. There is also a courtyard featuring traditional cafes and restaurants, so you can enjoy delicious food after a whole day of shopping!
As you can see, there are many things that you can bring home as souvenirs from Kuwait. When shopping for gifts, be sure to consider the above items and visit the suggested places for a truly amazing shopping experience!
READ NEXT: Top 15 Must Visit Beaches in Kuwait