The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has released an updated list of accredited Sea Cargo Forwarders as of March 31, 2018.
OFWs typically avail the services of an international consolidator or a principal sea cargo forwarder to deliver their packages also known as “balikbayan” boxes to their family or relatives in the Philippines. However, there are times when these service providers do not remit their share in their costing to their Philippine-based counterparts to authorize the release and delivery of the balikbayan boxes.
When funds are not remitted to legal and accredited Philippine-based agents/local cargo forwarders, the packages or balikbayan boxes within the Bureau of Customs will not be cleared for release and delivery to their respective consignee or recipients.
Updated List of Accredited Sea Cargo Forwarders for Balikbayan Box Posted by DTI
The updated list of accredited sea freight forwarders issued by the Department of Trade and Industry as of March 31, 2018 can be accessed here.
The Department of Trade and Industry Fair Trade Enforcement Bureau’s (DTI-FTEB) Business Licensing Accreditation Division (DTI-BLAD) regulates the accreditation process for sea freight forwarders as per Administrative Order No. 6, series of 2005.
DTI’’s FTEB-BLAD renders both the international consolidator as well as its Philippine counterpart equally liable for the deployment of shipments and cargoes to their respective consignees.
To counter the issue with undelivered packages and balikbayan boxes, the DTI offers the following reminders:
How to Avoid Being Victimized:
- Check DTI’s Advisories and Alerts as well as their Blacklist as supported by the Department’s Information Campaign
- Coordinate with BOC, DFA, Embassies, OFW orgs, OWWA, and DTI
- Get tips on how to properly send balikbayan packages
- Consult with agencies of foreign governments and the Freight Forwarder Regulations
Types of Assistances or Aid Victims Can Request for:
- Formal sanctions/charges applied against violating freight forwarders (local and international)
- Proper Endorsement to Law Enforcement Authorities
- Continuous coordination and reporting with the Bureau of Customs as well as other concerned Government Agencies
To know more about the proper process and handling of balikbayan boxes through accredited sea freight forwarders and their local agents, you may visit the DTI’s website.