OFW Guide: How to Apply for SSS Loan Restructuring

In our previous post, we have discussed about the bad money habits of OFWs. If you’ve noted one of the pointers we gave, it’s how you should account for any kind of debts or loan you may have had from the bank or other similar agencies (i.e. SSS, GSIS, etc) offering this type of service.

However, for OFWs who may have had any outstanding loan from SSS – it’s not too late to settle your loan records and status through their Loan Restructuring Program even if you’re overseas or could not be physically present at their branch to process your case. SSS now allows applications through an authorized representative bearing a letter of authority. Continue reading below to know how this works:

By Judgefloro – Own work, CC0

How OFWs Can Apply for SSS Loan Restructuring

If you are sending a representative to process your loan restructuring application, he/she will be required to present the following:

  • An email request of the member-borrower
  • A scanned copy of the Letter of Authority
  • Scanned copy of two valid ID cards of the member-borrower
  • Photocopies of at least two (2) valid IDs of the authorized representative.
  • A printed copy of the e-mail which contains both the e-mail addresses of the member-borrower as well as the authorized representative.

The authorized representatives are allowed to perform the following tasks on behalf of the member-borrower:

  1. Fill out the Loan Restructuring Program application form.
  2. Sign the “Conforme” section of the Statement of Loan Balances for LRP and Disclosure Statement.
  3. Sign the promissory note.
  4. Accept the Notice of Approval.
  5. Settle the restructured loan based on the agreed term.

OFW members may also personally file their LRP application at any SSS branch in the country or have their spouse, children, or any representative to file this on their behalf. However, representatives of the OFW member will have to present a Special Power of Attorney (SPA). Here are the steps which the OFW or their representative must undertake to apply:

  1. Prepare two (2) valid IDs, with one or both documents bearing the applicant/representative’s photo and signature.
  2. Complete the Loan restructuring Application Form (MLP-01263) using black ink only.
  3. Obtain a copy of the Statement of Loan Balance for Loan Restructuring Program. This should be available in any SSS branch near your area.
  4. Present an Affidavit of Residency that will attest that you live or work in an area that have been declared as under a state of calamity. Have the affidavit duly notarized.

Note: This is no longer a requirement for members who have already filed for a Calamity Loan or Salary Loan Early Renewal Program (SLERP).

  1. Submit all the required application forms and relevant documents at the nearest SSS office or Foreign Office (if the OFW is filing an application overseas).

The SSS has designed the process for filing for the Loan Restructuring Program more convenient and accessible for everyone, especially OFWs and their families. This is to ensure that all members will get the equal chance and means to sort out their loan accounts which will be an important factor in securing future claims from the agency, and most especially one’s pension after retirement.

Leave a Comment