How to Apply for a Temporary Residence Visa Extension in Kuwait

Expats who are visiting the Gulf State for either medical treatment or business engagements may apply for a visa extension through the Department of Immigration before the expiry date (up to a year) of their Kuwait visa. Expatriates may apply for a two one-month extension of their temporary residence visa.

Other than the abovementioned purposes, a temporary residence visa may also be given to the immediate family (father, mother, sister/s but not brother/s) of an expat residing in Kuwait. A temporary residence visa may also be issued to expats who have quit their jobs but are required to stay a little longer in the country in order to settle any financial dispute or a court case. Once the holder of this type of visa exits the country, the visa also gets automatically revoked. However, in the event that a non-Kuwaiti visa holder is required to stay longer than what their visa allows them to, they will be required to pay a KD 10 fine for each day they extend their stay here in the Gulf State. In order to avoid this situation, a visa extension will be needed. Here’s how:

Applying for a Temporary Residence Visa Extension in Kuwait

Prior applying for a residence visa extension, the applicant has to have his residence Application Form signed by his/ her sponsor (if applicable).


  • The original and copy of the applicant’s valid passport
  • The entry visa used by the applicant to get into the country
  • Two (2) recent photographs of the applicant
  • The original and a copy of the signed authorization of the sponsor
  • A photocopy of the sponsor’s Civil ID
  • A copy of the applicant’s Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Social affairs and Labour
  • A Certificate of Health Insurance
  • A copy of the signed authorization from the applicant’s company or establishment (where applicable)



  1. Go to the General Department of Immigration in your locale and submit the above-listed requirements.
  2. Completely fill out the service application form available on-site.
  3. Settle payment for the service application charges (KD 2).

In order to avoid fines for overstaying in the country with an expired visa, make sure to apply for a new residence visa or a visa extension at the very least, and well ahead of the expiry date of your visa document. Otherwise, you will be fined by authorities by the day for your overstay in the State.

Important Note: Fines are not to be settled at the airport. Overstaying fines are only to be settled at the Immigration Department of the Governorate you are assigned to.

Leave a Comment