Applying for a driving license here in Kuwait follows a certain set of requirements and procedures set by the government for all of its citizens, expats included. Here in Kuwait, first-time applicants will need to pass a driving test and be issued a learner’s license to be able to drive around the city.
Whether it’s your first time to apply for a driving license or if you are planning to convert your foreign driving license from your home country to make it valid here in Kuwait, you generally have to submit the following requirements and go through certain procedures. Here’s how:
Applying for a Driving License in Kuwait
If you are applying for a driving license for the first time, you will need to submit the following documents to earn your learner’s license issued by the License Section of the Traffic department in the area (governorate) you live in:
- Your valid and original passport
- Your original Civil ID, and clear photocopies
- Recent passport-size photos
- For employed individuals: a Letter of Attestation issued by your company
- A copy of your valid work permit issued by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labour OR a letter of employment from the Ministry you work for
- A copy of your eye and blood test results
For expats who wish to replace their non-Kuwaiti driving license, the following documents will be required:
- A copy of your valid Civil ID
- The translation of your foreign license, if in non-Arabic
- A letter of attestation for the non-Arabic license from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and your home embassy
- Two (2) recent 4 x 6 cm photographs in blue background
Note: The foreign driving license to be replaced/ converted has to be
For those applying for a Driving License for the first time:
- Prepare all the requirements needed to apply for a learner’s license as detailed above. Visit the License Section of the traffic Department in the locale you live in and submit all the required documents together with a stamped application form to register for your driving test.
- Go to the Driving Test Centre in your locale Traffic Department and schedule a date for your driving test after paying the minimal booking fee.
For expats who wish to replace/convert their foreign driving license:
- Go to the General Traffic Department in the locale you live in/are assigned to and submit all the applicable required documents for your case as detailed above.
- Completely fill out the service application form available on-site.
- Pay the service fees:
- Test Exemption fees: KD 10
- Annual Issuance fees: KD 2
Of course, before you apply for your driving license, especially if it’s your first-time , make sure that you are well aware of the traffic rules in your country of residence and are confident in your skills and are conscientious in using the road.