If you’re planning on opening a new savings account for yourself when and should you decide to come back home in the Philippines, or to set up an account where you can send your remittances for your family, it would be ideal to take note of the processes as to how you can open a savings account, say for example, with the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), and to apply for an ATM card for easy withdrawal of funds.
In this post, we will give you the list of requirements as well as the step-by-step procedures for your application to open a savings account with BPI, and to avail of a BPI ATM card. Here’s how:
Applying for a BPI ATM Card
Getting your own BPI ATM card entitles you to several perks and services such as:
- Easy management of your funds: Withdraw, transfer money, and check your balance free of charge on any ATM bearing the Cirrus and/or Expressnet logo.
- Easy shopping at any BPI partner merchants such as SM malls and outlets, Emall, Gaisano malls, Robinson’s malls, appliance centres, gasoline stations and more
- Sign up with a BPI Express Account online and manage your lifestyle more efficiently by paying your bills (utilities, cable TV, telephone, etc) and other transactions via ATM, online and/or mobile banking.
- Any two of the following valid IDs accepted in the Philippines:
- Company ID
- Driver’s license
- NSO birth certificate
- Voter’s ID
- Postal ID
- Barangay Clearance
- Police/NBI Clearance
- And so on…
- Two (2) 1 x 1 coloured photographs
- An initial deposit of Php 3,000 to avoid being charged for the maintaining balance fee.
- Visit the nearest BPI branch in your area, and proceed to the New Accounts section to ask assistance from the bank personnel with your ATM card application.
- Fill-out the application form to be given by the bank officer and submit the above-listed requirements including the initial deposit to open your account.
- Once you have submitted all the requirements and forms, the bank officer will submit your application in the system for processing. After which, you will be given a deposit slip.
Important: Keep the deposit slip as you will need this together with your valid ID to claim your BPI ATM card. Collection of the card is usually done after seven (7) banking days.
- The required maintaining balance to keep this particular type of ATM card is Php 3,000. If your funds in this account go below this amount, you will be charged a penalty fee of Php 300 per month.
- The required maintaining balance for your account to earn interest is Php 5,000.